PROGRAM ANNOUNCEMENT & CALL FOR NOMINATIONS
2016-17 Women's Leadership and Mentoring Program *
Sponsored by the Women's Center at Virginia Tech
In collaboration with senior administrators and faculty at Virginia Tech, the Women’s Center is delighted to sponsor the 2016-17 VT Women’s Leadership and Mentoring Program (WLMP). Entering its 10th year, this program provides a cohort-based experience for post-masters professionals in a series of sessions on topics related to professional development. The WLMP is specifically designed for women who are [aspiring] higher education administrators and wish to gain leadership knowledge and experience.
Each session is taught by a senior administrator and the topics include management of personnel, budget, governance and institutional decision-making, supervision, performance planning and evaluation, team-building and collaboration, career development, mentoring and peer coaching, and other topics that the group may identify. Organized sessions may be supplemented by brown-bag opportunities to learn more about issues and topics identified by the group.
In addition to the monthly seminars, participants will have the opportunity to engage in mentoring activities with women in administrative leadership at Virginia Tech. The WLMP includes a talented and dedicated cadre of mentors who have committed to engaging with members of the WLMP cohort throughout the academic year. This is a valuable opportunity for participants to connect with senior leaders, discuss goals and strategies, process seminar content, and gain from their experiences and insights.
The cost for participation in the WLMP is $185.00, which covers the cost of all necessary materials for the seminar. Directors and Department Heads are encouraged to sponsor the nominee by using departmental funds to cover the costs.
We are currently accepting nominations for the 2016-17 cohort. We encourage you to nominate post-masters professionals who are: aspiring higher education administrators; responsible for budget management and supervision; and can make a commitment to attending the monthly program seminars. Please limit nominations to one individual per department or, for larger departments, please prioritize your nominees.
Self-nominations are welcome, provided that a letter of support from the nominee’s supervisor is attached. The nomination letter should be no more than one-page in length and the total packet should include:
- A brief outline of the nominee’s professional background;
- Articulation of how the nominee will benefit from participation in the WLMP;
- Information on how many individuals the nominee supervises and their budget management responsibilities; and
- A copy of the nominee’s job description.
Please submit nominations via email or campus mail no later than Wednesday, August 17th, 2016 to:
Anna LoMascolo, Co-Director, Programming
Women’s Center at Virginia Tech
206 Washington Street (0270)
Blacksburg, VA 24061
This year’s program will be limited to 20 participants. Individuals selected for inclusion in the WLMP will be notified no later than Friday, August 26th. The first session is scheduled for Thursday, September 8th, 2016 @ 8:30AM-Noon in 3600 North End Center.
The remaining sessions are scheduled for 8:30AM-Noon on the following dates:
- Thursday, October 6th
- Thursday, November 3rd
- Thursday, January 12th
- Thursday, February 2nd
- Thursday, March 2nd
- Thursday, April 6th
- Thursday, May 4th (followed by a Closing Celebration Lunch from 12-1:30PM)
* The WLMP is the recipient of the 2015 American Council on Education State Network Leadership Award for the Advancement of Women in Higher Education, which recognizes an outstanding and innovative program that helps advance or support women or women's issues in higher education.
Check it Out! -- a spotlight on the peer coaching workshop for the Women's Leadership & Mentoring Program (WLMP) on February 10th, 2011.
Melissa Lubin, WLMP Faculty Member and Program Mentor, shares top 5 tips on leadership.
Women's Center in the news...
Follow the Women's Center at Virginia Tech
Phone: (540) 231-7806<
Fax: (540) 231-6767
Announcements & Upcoming Events:
- March is Women's Month!!
- Did you know there are 24 dedicated lactation spaces on campus? Click here to find out more!
- Thursdays @ the Women's Center, Kids' Night Out drop-in childcare [except when VT is closed and Thursday home football games]
- Start Smart Salary Negotiation Workshops are back!!! To request a program, complete this form.
- Apply by MAR 31st for a fall 2017 Women's Center Internship! Click here for more information.
- Click here to learn more about becoming a SAVES peer educator. Applications due no later than MAR 31st!
- MAR 29th @ 12-1:30PM, 310 Kelly Hall, VT Women's Alliance Open Meeting