The White Ribbon Campaign is an opportunity for men at Virginia Tech to take a stand against the small percentage of men who perpetrate violence against those who are closest to them, in particular women and girls. The White Ribbon Campaign is a project of the Virginia Tech Corps of Cadets’ Echo Company with support from the Women’s Center
The White Ribbon Campaign at Virginia Tech is held during the spring semester of each year.
Why is the White Ribbon Campaign important at Tech?
Gender-based violence is an issue at Virginia Tech, and every other community in the world. We should all care about it every day, because it affects us all every day. White Ribbon International is the world's largest movement of men working to end gender-based violence. They ask men to pledge to never commit, condone, or stay silent about violence against women and girls and they call on men to use their voices as part of positive and healthy masculinity. The Virginia Tech Corps of Cadets and the Women's Center support this message and coordinate the White Ribbon Campaign at Virginia Tech to raise awareness about the key role men play in ending gender-based violence.
What can I do until the next White Ribbon Campaign?
- Think about the kind of man you want to be. Be true to yourself.
- Be respectful towards women, girls, and other guys. Sexism and homophobia hurts us all.
- Never use force, threats, or violence in your relationships with others.
- Ask first. Whether it’s holding hands, kissing, or more, it’s important to communicate.
- Speak out against violence against women.
- Be a good role model and share with those around you the importance of respecting women and girls
- Learn about the impact of violence against women in our communities.
- Challenge and speak out against hurtful language, sexist jokes, and bullying.
- Accept your role as a guy in helping end violence against women. It affects everyone.
(adapted from White Ribbon - www.whiteribbon.ca)
Follow the Women's Center at Virginia Tech
Phone: (540) 231-7806<
Fax: (540) 231-6767
Announcements & Upcoming Events:
- March is Women's Month!!
- Did you know there are 24 dedicated lactation spaces on campus? Click here to find out more!
- Thursdays @ the Women's Center, Kids' Night Out drop-in childcare [except when VT is closed and Thursday home football games]
- Start Smart Salary Negotiation Workshops are back!!! To request a program, complete this form.
- Apply by MAR 31st for a fall 2017 Women's Center Internship! Click here for more information.
- Click here to learn more about becoming a SAVES peer educator. Applications due no later than MAR 31st!
- MAR 29th @ 12-1:30PM, 310 Kelly Hall, VT Women's Alliance Open Meeting