This one-day event serves as an empowering resource for young leaders on the Virginia Tech campus to kick-start their community involvement and political aspirations. Elect Her trains college women to run effective campaigns for student government, as well as helping women to cultivate skills needed to achieve leadership roles in their communities and professional careers. It will benefit college women seeking to develop their personal leadership philosophy and sharpen their ability to influence others.
This unique program, offered through the American Association of University Women (AAUW) and Running Start, teaches women how to run for campus-based elective office during college and later in life. Since 2007, AAUW and Running Start have collaborated to encourage college women to run for student government. Building on those successes, the organizations developed and initiated the ELECT HER— Campus Women Win training program and the effort is already showing results for young women. Leadership skills contribute to the foundation of success throughout college and in the professional world, and Elect Her will teach Virginia Tech women how to build their skills and apply them to leadership in any organization or career path.
The Women's Center, in collaboration with the SGA, hosts Elect Her every other spring. The next Elect Her conference is scheduled for spring 2018.
For more information, contact Jessie Meltsner.
|College Student Government: Where Are the Women?|
|Haas Center works to close gender gap in public service|
|On college campuses, a gender gap in student government|
Follow the Women's Center at Virginia Tech
Phone: (540) 231-7806<
Fax: (540) 231-6767
Announcements & Upcoming Events:
- March is Women's Month!!
- Did you know there are 24 dedicated lactation spaces on campus? Click here to find out more!
- Thursdays @ the Women's Center, Kids' Night Out drop-in childcare [except when VT is closed and Thursday home football games]
- Start Smart Salary Negotiation Workshops are back!!! To request a program, complete this form.
- Apply by MAR 31st for a fall 2017 Women's Center Internship! Click here for more information.
- Click here to learn more about becoming a SAVES peer educator. Applications due no later than MAR 31st!
- MAR 29th @ 12-1:30PM, 310 Kelly Hall, VT Women's Alliance Open Meeting