VT Women Connect
The Women's Center is committed to supporting the mission and efforts of the Virginia Network. The goal of the Virginia Network is to promote women's leadership in higher education and throughout society as a whole; to create an educational, social, and political climate in which women, in all their diversity, can participate equally with men in setting public agendas; to facilitate connections among women in various sectors of higher education and with other organizations and networks with shared goals on the institutional, state, regional, professional, national, and international levels; and to foster strategic alliances and facilitate effective partnerships between women and men in the workplace.
Virginia Tech supports the mission of the Virginia Network through VT Women Connect (VTWC). VTWC promotes, develops and supports Virginia Tech’s professional women by providing a forum to forge relationships, develop supportive networks, and share ideas and information. Donna Cassell Ratcliffe, Director of Career Services, and Anna LoMascolo, Co-Director for Programming at the Women’s Center, serve as VT’s Institutional Representatives to the Virginia Network and catalysts for activities here on the Virginia Tech campus.
Check back for program details!
AdvanceVT/Women's Center Leadership Lunches
In fall 2005, AdvanceVT initiated a series of "Leadership Lunches" to provide women faculty and administrators with the opportunity to learn from and interact with current academic leaders, as well as to meet and network with other women from across campus. Lunches are open to everyone, but are advertised primarily to women faculty. The atmosphere is casual and time is reserved for questions and discussion following each speaker's remarks. Speakers are primarily from Virginia Tech with occasional visitors from other campuses. Past speakers include current and former provosts, a president emeritus, vice presidents, deans and associate deans, department heads, research center directors, and professional society leaders. Click here for information on upcoming and past featured speakers.
The VT Women's Alliance
In the spirit of Ut Prosim, the Virginia Tech Women's Alliance champions an equitable and inclusive culture.
The Women's Alliance, in solidarity with caucuses and other university and community allies, provides the Virginia Tech community a forum to achieve shared goals and promote opportunities for underrepresented groups, which includes women of all identities by advancing:
- Dialogue among the Women's Alliance and the university community
- Campus services and programs that address the needs of women
- Efforts to remove systemic barriers to advancement
- Equity in hiring, promotion, and compensation
- Mentoring and networking opportunities
- Access to quality childcare for university employees and students
- Positive and inclusive campus climate
- Identification and resolution of campus equity and safety issues
Kids' Night Out
A Drop-In Evening Child Care For Kids aged 2-12. The Women's Center becomes a place for kids to spend some hours having fun while parents run errands, relax over dinner, study or attend a lecture, catch up on work or just need a break. Whatever your reason, we provide your child a fun and safe place and you a peace of mind.
Where: Women's Center, 206 Washington Street
When: Thursdays from 6-8:30 when classes are in session (EXCEPTION: Thursday evening home football games=NO Kids' Night Out), beginning September 2016.
Who: Children (aged 2-12) of any VT student. Children must be toilet trained.
How: Just drop in--no pre-registration required.
Sponsored by the Women's Center at Virginia Tech and child care provided by Chi Delta Alpha. For additional information on upcoming events, please contact Jessie Meltsner at (540) 231-7806.
Working Moms' Support Group
An opportunity for working mothers to come together to share, vent, network, share information and resources and support one another. To sign up for the listserv or for more information, contact Christine Smith.
Follow the Women's Center at Virginia Tech
Phone: (540) 231-7806
Fax: (540) 231-6767
Announcements & Upcoming Events:
- Did you know there are 24 dedicated lactation spaces on campus? Click here to find out more!
- Are you interested in reserving space at the Women's Center? Click here to submit your request.
- KIDS' NIGHT OUT!, Thursdays @ 6-8:30PM, Women's Center (every Thursday night of the semester except when the university is closed or there is a home football game)
- The Women's Leadership & Mentoring Program (WLMP) is undergoing a thorough program review during the 2017-18 year. The program will resume in 2018-19. Thank you so much for your interest.
- SEPT 15th & 18th, SAVES Interviews
SEPT 23th, 30th & OCT 20th, 9AM-3PM, SAVES Mandatory Training
- SEPT 19th @ 4-6PM, Owens Banquet Hall, Welcome Reception for New Women Colleauges (to RSVP visit here)
- SEPT 28th @ Noon-1:30PM, The Inn at VT, AdvanceVT/Women's Center Leadership Lunch featuring speaker Rachel Holloway, Vice Provost for Undergraduate Academic Affairs (to RSVP visit here)
- OCT 3rd @ 4-5PM (and every Tuesday through December 12th), Women's Center, Working Through Trauma Support Group for Survivors of Sexual Violence, 4-5PM, Women's Center
- OCT 6th @ Noon, North End Center, MeFirst! Fridays: Making Your Job Work for You" (To register, visit the UOPD website, click "Register Now" and search for "MeFirst! Fridays")
- OCT 17th @ 7PM, Fralin Auditorium, Through Feminist Eyes feat. Dr. Shannon Elizabeth Bell, Associate Professor of Sociology, "Fighting Fire with Fire: Fossil Fuel Industries and the Gendering of Public Relations Strategies"
- NOV 8th @7PM, Fralin Auditorium, Through Feminist Eyes feat. Dr. Ashley V. Reichelmann, Assistant Professor of Sociology, “Using Magic to Reimagine Womanhood: Gender, Witchcraft, and Identity Politics”