Click here to apply. Deadline to apply is Friday, December 2, 2016.
Women’s Center Ambassadors
Student input, voice, and contributions are a valued and crucial part of the Virginia Tech Women’s Center. In order for our collective work around gender, social justice, leadership, wellness, diversity, inclusion, and equity to be relevant to the student population of Virginia Tech, we need students to be the most valued collaborators and influencers. The Ambassador program serves to build a connection to students who want to further the mission of the Women’s Center and feminism, support us through volunteerism, and continue their own leadership development in a welcoming and affirming space. The Women’s Center Ambassador program will create opportunities for students who are interested in making a difference in the lives of others, exploring leadership and service, practicing activism, and creating dialogue and action around current issues facing our interconnected communities.
Learning Outcomes for students involved in the Ambassador Program are…
- Exploring leadership, gender, and social justice as models that inform one another
- Design and implement programs that are relevant to gender and our community
- Engage in leadership through presenting to the campus community about the Women’s Center and gender-related issues
- Create social change through civic engagement, peer learning, and dialogue
- Understand the historical context of the Women’s Center at Virginia Tech and the movement for Women’s Centers on college campuses in America
- Share the mission, vision, and values of the Women’s Center with the community
- Develop community with other Ambassadors, staff at the Women’s Center, and the Virginia Tech campus through learning, accountability, and support
Responsibilities for students involved in the Ambassador Program are…
- Attend regular meetings (TBD) of the entire Ambassador Program group
- Present when available to classes, student groups, and university partners
- Volunteer at Women’s Center and other collaborative events the Women’s Center may co-host or sponsor
- Lead regular tabling efforts on behalf of the Women’s Center
- Develop and execute a program for students as a part of the university’s campus-wide celebration of Women’s Month throughout March 2017
- Create and foster relationships with departments, student organizations, students, and community members
- Give voice to your own interests as they relate to gender, leadership, diversity, and inclusion through programming, social media campaigns, tabling efforts, etc.
- Devote at least 5 hours per week to your efforts and work as an Ambassador
- Be your authentic self and support others as they do the same
Minimum Qualifications for students involved in the Ambassador Program are…
- Current student at Virginia Tech
- Cumulative GPA of at least 2.75
- Regular, weekly availability for a group meeting and, at minimum, five hours per week to be present at the Women’s Center, helping with a program, volunteering, etc.
- Willingness to participate in reflection exercises where data will be collected about your experience
The timeline for students interested in applying to the Ambassador Program is…
- Applications available: Friday, November 4th, 2016
- Applications close: Friday, December 2nd, 2016
- Acceptance notification: No later than Friday, December 16th, 2016
Follow the Women's Center at Virginia Tech
Phone: (540) 231-7806<
Fax: (540) 231-6767
Announcements & Upcoming Events:
- Did you know there are 24 dedicated lactation spaces on campus? Click here to find out more!
- Thursdays @ the Women's Center, Kids' Night Out drop-in childcare [except when VT is closed and Thursday home football games]
- Start Smart Salary Negotiation Workshops are back!!! To request a program, complete this form.