Gender-based violence (GBV) is a priority concern for the Women's Center. GBV includes but is not limited to sexual assault, relationship violence, stalking, and harassment.
The Women’s Center offers the following free counseling and advocacy services to students, faculty, and staff who have been impacted by GBV:
- Support, advocacy, and crisis intervention.
- Individual and group counseling.
- Support and assistance to friends and family.
- Accompaniment to medical facilities, law enforcement, court proceedings, and the university's Title IX investigations and conduct hearings.
- Information about the criminal, university (Title IX), and civil options for reporting and adjudicating a crime.
- Information about counseling options on and off campus.
- Academic relief and other types of academic assistance.
- Information about forensic evidence collection offered at the Carilion New River Valley Medical Center in Radford, as well as medical care resources on campus and in the community.
- Assistance in finding safe housing if you are not safe in your own home or residence, including both on- and off-campus options.
- Information about other campus and community resources.
- Consultation services for faculty and staff on how to support students who disclose sexual assault, relationship violence, and/or stalking.
A note about confidentiality of services:
The Women’s Center is here to provide a safe space and will make every effort to preserve our clients' privacy. In certain situations, information may be shared with other university departments in order to assist survivors, to provide for the safety of survivors, and/or provide for the safety of the campus community. If you have questions about confidentiality and privacy at the Women’s Center or other university departments, please contact us for further explanation.
The Women's Center is considered a "confidential resource" under Title IX and is not required to make a Title IX report to the university.
Meet the Counseling and Advocacy Team:
|Traci Terry||Gender-based Violence Advocacy Coordinator|| Email Traci
|Jessica Prince-Sanders||Assistant Director of Advocacy Services||Email Jessica|
|Katie Mey||Gender-based Violence Prevention Coordinator||Email Katie|
|Christine Dennis Smith||Co-Director, Services||Email Christine|
|Becca Brown||Victim Advocate|| Email Becca
|"Dr." Ellie||Therapy Dog|
How to make an appointment:
- Call (540) 231-7806 (between 8am and 5pm, Monday through Friday) and ask to schedule an appointment with a counselor.
- E-mail one of the counselors listed above.
The Women’s Center operates on the standard university schedule (open 8am – 5pm, Monday through Friday, except for holidays and other times the university is closed).
If you have an emergency or need to speak to someone immediately and the Women’s Center is closed, please contact the Women’s Resource Center of the NRV 24 –hour hotline at (540) 639-1123.
If your safety is in jeopardy, please call 911.
For more information visit www.stopabuse.vt.edu or follow the links below:
|What is Sexual Assault||Campus and Community Resources|
|What is Stalking||Virginia Tech policy regarding sexual assault|
|What is Relationship Violence||Virginia State law regarding sexual assault|
Follow the Women's Center at Virginia Tech
Phone: (540) 231-7806
Fax: (540) 231-6767
Announcements & Upcoming Events:
- Did you know there are 24 dedicated lactation spaces on campus? Click here to find out more!
- Are you interested in reserving space at the Women's Center? Click here to submit your request.
- KIDS' NIGHT OUT IS CANCELLED for Thursday, November 16th. We will resume after Thanksgiving break.
- KIDS' NIGHT OUT!, Thursdays @ 6-8:30PM, Women's Center (space is limited; see new program details)
- NOV 14th & 15th @ 9AM, GLC Multipurpose Room, Little Hokie Hand-Me-Down (click here for details)
- NOV 17th @ 6:30PM, Cassell Coliseum, The Women's Alliance and Hispanic & Latino Faculty & Staff Caucus are co-hosting a joint social at the VT Women's Volleyball game. RSVP here.
- DEC 12th @ Noon, Hyatt Place Ballroom, VT Women Connect Networking Luncheon w/ panel discussion on Serving as an Interim; RSVP here no later than 12/5/17.