A mentoring project at Blacksburg Middle School advised by the Women's Center
The AWARE Club: This student team develops curriculum and facilitates educational programs for 6th, 7th and 8th grade girls at Blacksburg Middle School. Virginia Tech women lead discussions on topics such as healthy relationships, creativity, body image and self-esteem, as well as facilitate workshops and mentor young girls. Volunteers must attend weekly planning meetings and at least one session with students at the Middle School. Volunteers are encouraged to commit to the program for an entire year, but at times scheduling conflicts are inevitable. E-mail Jessie Meltsner at firstname.lastname@example.org for additional information about the project.
We strive to empower Blacksburg girls by planning weekly lessons that cover topics ranging from healthy body image, communication, to peer pressure. All of us can remember how hard middle school was — imagine if you had an outlet each week to talk to people who not only survived what you are going through, but are thriving? We want to give the girls we work with a chance to have some fun and grow. Time commitment is approximately two hours a week. While we have closed the application period for fall 2017, contact Jessie for more information on the next round of applications.
Follow the Women's Center at Virginia Tech
Phone: (540) 231-7806<
Fax: (540) 231-6767
Announcements & Upcoming Events:
- March is Women's Month!!
- Did you know there are 24 dedicated lactation spaces on campus? Click here to find out more!
- Thursdays @ the Women's Center, Kids' Night Out drop-in childcare [except when VT is closed and Thursday home football games]
- Start Smart Salary Negotiation Workshops are back!!! To request a program, complete this form.
- Apply by MAR 31st for a fall 2017 Women's Center Internship! Click here for more information.
- Click here to learn more about becoming a SAVES peer educator. Applications due no later than MAR 31st!
- MAR 29th @ 12-1:30PM, 310 Kelly Hall, VT Women's Alliance Open Meeting